Application Deadline: October 14th 2019
The MTN Academic Research Development and Innovation Challenge (MTN ARDIC) is an end-to-end support system where selected students would translate their ideas into solutions through a seamless access to applicable tools, data, platform and hands-on mentoring.
MTNwill be hosting an exclusive launch of the event to connect with otherorganizations supporting MTN’s mission to inspire young Nigerian tobecome entrepreneurs and foster their journey. Students, entrepreneursand relevant stakeholders are invited to attend the 3 regional pitchingevents to pitch for the chance to win.
At the end of the challenge, MTN would provide the top 6 well-motivated Masters/PhD researchers who want to translate their research ideas into high-impact innovations with enabling platforms, APIs, data, training, mentorship and 6 months acceleration with Seedstars to further develop the ideas towards commercialization.
To be considered for selection in the MTNN ARDIC, applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Must be a registered current postgraduate(Masters or Doctorate) student of an accredited Nigerian university orresearch institute.
• Must have received confirmation from faculty and commenced research in one of the focus areas below.
• Must be interested in applying the findingsfrom his/her research to solve practical socio-economic challenges inNigeria.
• Must provide evidence of rightful ownership of the research topic/idea submitted for consideration.
• Must agree to sign a Memorandum ofUnderstanding (MOU) to be drawn between relevant parties (MTN and otherImplementing Partners) at relevant stages of the challenge.
• Must have commenced and been studying the chosenresearch area for at least 8 months. Students who have completed theirresearch study but are yet to graduate from their universities are alsoeligible to apply.
Qualifying Research Areas
ECONOMIC & COMMERCIAL FOCUS
- Econometric modeling and Advanced Scenario Analysis for Telco industry using macro-economic data
- Media Optimization and Attribution Modeling of media advertising spend
- Market footprint optimization for retail
- Geo-marketing and Community churn modeling
- Digital Media Optimization and real-time planning model
- Use of GIS/Satellite Data for market sizing, characterization and SME clustering/valuation
INNOVATION FOR HIGH SOCIAL IMPACT
- Innovative Biometrics for multi-sectoral customer identification
- Rural Telephone coverage technology and strategies
- High scalable impact research in Block Chain for Telco and FinTech
- Use of GIS and customer migration data for Health/Epidemiological and Smart City planning
- AgriTech with emphasis on use of technology for agricultural yield optimization, storage and preservation
- MedTechwith emphasis on malaria prevention tech-solutions, efficient drugdistribution, maternal-infant & child mortality reduction
- Customer Complaints modeling using new media data and NLP
MTN partnered with Seedstars to provide 6 months virtual acceleration to the top 6 projects pitching at our regional pitching events.
Perks and resources
MTNwill provide N1N to the winners as well as enabling platforms, APIs,data, training, mentorship to further develop the ideas towardscommercialization.
6 MONTHS ACCELERATION
Seedstars Investment Readiness Program
TheInvestment Readiness program is a flexible, tech and data centeredaccelerator designed to support startups with global expertise andinsights.
For More Information: